Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install of mom reporting not finding report server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

Got a box called dev1 (sql) and dev2 (mom) All the latest and greatest.

When I try to run mom reporting install it fails telling me their is no sql on the other box.

On the sql server I've installed reporting services but haven't run the config.

I can telnet to it on 1433. dev1/reportserver gets me a webpage

dev1/reports gets me the reports center.

I've run up 2 of the SQL2005 patches and the 3rd is meant to be installed after mom reporting.

And my boss doesn't care about alerting - he just wants reporting - groan. Any ideas?

I can ping dev1 by fqdn

The asp.net on dev1 is 1.1.422

I've set the directory security on the reportserver and reports virtual directories to allow anonymous access using the I_USR a/c.

Any other ideas?

Anyone set this up successfully with sql2005?

It sounds like you might be trying to install MOM reporting on the MOM server yet have the actual data reside on your SQL server.

I have been trying to find a way to do this myself (using SQL 2000) and have been completely unsuccessful to get it to work flawlessly.

From what I can gather, the MOM reporting installation must occur on the same box as the SQL server the data will reside on (which may or may not be the same server that the SQL reporting resides on).

In fact, if I remember correctly the MOM reporting installation refused to even any other servers existence other then itself.

Let me know if I'm mistaken about what you're trying to do.

Yep that was what I was trying to do. Can't believe it won't do a front end/back end. At the moment I'll settle for any working MOM - does it work if you run the whole mess up together?

Thx nedmega - u got me started on the right track.

Arrrgh what a nightmare - this thing was obviously thrown over the fence too early - gee can't wait for the next version. Come back OpenView - all is forgiven.

Rite to save the community some pain here goes with my rough notes:

MOM 2005 SP1 with SQL 2005 SP1 Install Tricks

Install location - you have to install it on the SQL box NOT the MOM mgmt server

IIS permissions are wrong do this reg hack:
Method 1: Disable the loopback check
Follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click
OK.
2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

SQL permissions - giving SA to mom-das a/c didn't work
Needed to give permissions on the onepoint DB to mom-das and the installing a/c
i.e. the guy logged on to the server running the install

BITS service is not enabled by default - set it to automatic

Install
unticked the 'automatically find virtual
directories' typed in the ones suggested in the
dialogue box

Now I had to fix this darned thing quickly (got one of those ' it all works of the box ' managers). So some of the steps might be redundant but that's what worked for me.

Good luck and take the rubber chicken on this one.

whoops I tried it again just to check my recipe:

I had to put the reporting server IP in instead of FQDN even tho you can ping the fqdn locally or from the mom mgmt server and yes win firewall is disabled.
(don't put in localhost or your link to reporting from the mom console won't work)

umbletech...

thanks for the update. I might go back and try this myself now. Your tip about using the IP instead of the FQDN might prove to be useful for the problems I was having.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back