Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install New CPU, Now Network Doesnt Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneharnett

Programmer
May 26, 2003
AU
Hi everyone,
A while ago i installed a new cpu in my pc, and all of a sudden i could not browse shared folders on my other computer and vice versa... the internet connection still worked and we could ping each other...

I assumed it was either 1 of the NICs or the cable, so i have just replaced both NICs and the cable and now unfortunately the problem isnt fixed in fact its worse... because now the other computer cannot access the internet connection that is shared from my computer...

Both pcs are running XP Pro

Any suggestions?

Was the CPU identical to the old one that was replaced, or is this an upgrade rather than a replacement? And was it just the CPU or the motherboard as well?

I worry about your HAL, the database XP keeps of very detailed information about your hardware. But lets see if something short of re-installing XP can be done.

The issue I think is that TCP/IP is no longer bound to the ICS adapter: [LN];Q230070

But a clean slate should be made.

First, boot into Safe Mode without Networking as the Administrator. Go to Device Manager, Network Adapters, View, Show all hidden devices, and remove any mention of your old lan adapters. Reboot.

Second, unplug your connection to the other computer. Make a connection to the Internet on one of the adapters, and download this utility to reset your Winsock service stacks: Run the WinsockFix application, and let it reboot the computer.

Third, reconnect the other computer. Set your Workgroup name, Computer Name, etc. or at least check those settings. Go to the adapter properties for the LAN connection, TCP/IP, Advanced, WINS tab and disable LMHOSTS and enable Netbios over TCP/IP. Disable the native XP ICF firewall.

Finally, follow this step-by-step Guide to ICS:

bcastner,
Thanks for the help!

The CPU was an upgrade AMD AthlonXP 2000+ -> AMD AthlonXP 2500+.

NOTE: I have already formatted and reinstalled windows twice... once when i first installed the cpu and once just after i installed the new NICs.

But, the other computer has only been once just after i moved my old CPU into it...

I think im gonna have to try both pcs on a different network to see if both of them are stuffing up or if just one of them is...

I also thought it could have been an IRQ conflict problem as on my computer my NIC was sharing an IRQ with my graphics card & some USB thing...

I have since moved the NIC to a different PCI slot and now the graphics card and NIC have separate IRQs...

But the problem still exists...

I will post back here, once i have tried both pcs on another network each to see if both are having trouble or if its just one of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back