Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install modules on Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i've been having problems installing some modules eg. DBI module, TK.
I can run "perl makefile.pl", but when i try the "nmake" complier , it fails saying an error has occured involving the "cl" program and a argument passed in. Doesn't get as far as the "nmake test". Is this a common problem that i should know about? With hopefully a common solution.
Using lastest stable build of perl. The pc doesn't have internet connection so can't use ppm.
if you need more info let me know.
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Don't need to do it via the internet. I've heard of people loading the files locally and pointing ppm to them.

To use ppm for installing modules from a local or network drive use following syntax.
Code:
install --location=directory module
So if you are installing the Net-Telnet module from the C:\Perl\Modules directory, the command would be:
Code:
install --location=C:\Perl\Modules Net-Telnet

Thanx for your help everyone, greatly appreciated, i thought that ppm could only work with .ppd files, i'll give it a try anyway though raider2001

Additionally, if you build perl with one compiler (as ActiveState did) and then try to build packages/modules with a different compiler, it frequently causes problems. If you can't use ppm dependably/effectively and you need to build you modules, then you may need to remove your current perl installation (if installed as a binary) and build perl from scratch. Then, build your modules as needed.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Still can't get it to work with ppm ,i think that ppm only works if it can find a .ppd file, which aren't supplied with some of the modules i want to install. I have to compile the problem modules, which is where i'm getting the problem.
Does anyone know where i can get a working make program to compile them.
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back