Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install Microsoft Client Service for Netware with SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJaspert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2001
DE
Hi all,

here is the question: Is it possible to install the Microsoft "Client Service for Netware" from with SMS or from the command line? For example: "Command -install "Client Service for Netware" -Parameter" or something similar.

We need to deploy the Netware Client on hundreds of clients and we want to do that using SMS or a login script, instead of running around and touching each desktop manually. I know that is possible for the Novell client that is shipped by Novell, but we depend on the Microsoft version which does not inlcude any executable.

Any help will be appreciated.....

Probably not without packaging it.

Why do you need to use the MS version of the client?

We do not want to use the Novell provided client because it definitely slows down the PC's speed. All we need to so is to map a few network drives and access the printers.

Besides the technical reason there is also a management decision to go with the microsoft client......

This might be the solution:
I found a tool called "netset.exe" which requires an answer file to define the network configuration. You can install protocolls, clients, and so on.

Or you could install Gateway Services for Netware - I've used it in the past and it seems to be OK.

Can't say I've noticed the Novell client slowing things down too much - probably depends what version of netware you're running?

The Novell client slows computer processing by something like 12%. There was a study a few months ago by Gartner or someone. I'll see if I can look it up. Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back