Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install McAffee VirusScan 8i on Exchange 2000 SP3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaix

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
BE
Hello,

We would like to install an antivirus on our Exchange 2000 SP3 server. Does anyone already have installed Virusscan 8i on a Exhange 2000 server ?

Thank you for response - Best Regards.Khaixxx

Why do you want to install VS 8i on Exchange? Groupshield is for Exchange mailbox virus protection.

Yes, we have also Groushield 5.2 installed on Exchange server for mailbox protection. We need to install a antivirus like Virusscan 8i to protect server (windows2K SP4) itself against virus. But we don't know compatibility... tx

khaix;

I have McAfee on my Exchange server, no problems. We use Antigen for the mail store and Vscan 8 for the server. If you use the port block features on V.8 rember to exclude service like DNS, Power Shute, etc..

Be careful when installing a file level AV appliaction on Exchange, it is a good idea, but must be done properly and you must exclude certain items from the scans. I believe McAfee has a whitepaper on the proper install. Good Luck.

BTW- We scan our Exchange 2003 server remotely at the file level from time-to-time, but we do not have a local AV file scanner installed. Just Groupshield 5.2. I would like to upgrade to 6, but we did not buy the second year support contract, so have to wait until the fall when we update our licenses.

The only feature I really want is the ability to delete the entire e-mail that contains a virus. In 5.2, the virus is deleted/removed, but the message is still delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back