Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install location of custom DLL'a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennie47250

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
US
I know this is stupid crazy but a fella's got to do what a fella's got to do.

I'm attempting to install Crystal version 7.0 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

So far it is going surprising well. I can create and run reports. The snag I have not been able to resolve yet is the installation of some custom functions that are in a DLL file.

On my Windows 2000 server, the DLL’s are located in C:\winnt\system32 directory. The new server does not have this directory so I have copied them to the c:\windows, C:\windows\system32, C:\windows\sysWOW64 directories but Crystal is still not finding them.

These are 32 bit DLL’s but the server is a 64 bit machine. Could that be the issue?

Any suggestions (other than upgrading to something written in this decade – long story but we must stay on version 7.0)

Thanks
Bennie5a

Since Crystal is a 32-bit application, it should have no problem "seeing" a 32-bit .dll file. I suspect that you need to somehow "register" the .dll file. I found an SAP note that talks about registering UFLs. This is for .NET UFLs, but if your .dll file was not created in .NET, you'll ignore the GAC information and just use the "regasm" to register it.

From SAP Note 1266912:

1266912 - How to deploy Crystal Reports UFL created in Visual Studio .NET

Symptom

Error in file C:\DOCUME~1\rolfd\LOKALA~1\temp<guid>.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing
Formula functions defined in the UFL do not appear in the Crystal Reports designer

Cause

Crystal Reports UFLs created in Visual Studio .NET need to be in placed in the GAC and REGASM must also be used. Note that Regasm.exe command-line options are case insensitive.

Resolution

Ensure Crystal Reports designer is not running
GAC the dll as follows:
a) Copy the UFL dll into The correct bin directory. For Crystal Reports 2008, this is C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86
b) At the .NET command prompt type; gacutil -i "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\<name of your UFL>"

This should result in the message; "Assembly successfully added to the cache."
Run REGASM from the command prompt:
Type regasm "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\<name of your UFL>"
Note: For 64-bit environment there are two Regasm.exe files: for 64-bit in C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework64/{.Net version number} and for 32-bit in C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/{.Net version number}. Because Crystal Reports is 32 bit application the UFL should be registered for 32 bit.

To register for 32 bit, copy the UFL to the C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/{.Net version number}/ folder
In command line go to C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/{.Net version number}/
Regasm <name of your UFL>

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back