Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install LILO or GRUB to MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha4eva

Programmer
Apr 27, 2002
US
I've installed RH7.2 and chosen to use LILO during installation but for some reason LILO didn't work. So, I resetted the MBR by using fdisk /mbr and now I can't boot into RH the regular way, I have to use a boot floppy, which annoys me like heck.

I tried using the lilo command but it gave me an error of something like, the disk cylinder is too big or something like that. I don't want to have to install 2.7gigs of data again to get that booter to work.

Thanks in advance, please reply with detailed info, step by step is greatly aprreciated b/c I'm the newest to linux as newbies.

alpha

If your linux root (/) partition runs beyond the 1024 cylinder limit then probably LILO might not work

try to use LBA mode

Grub is the way to go, go to:
info grub
for instructions on how to install grub.

thanks guy, even though i don't know what LBA is and where info grub is located, i'll try to find out for a while before asking again,

thanks!

Well,
info is a help based system that comes with linux just like the help system "man" (manual). You can access both by getting to a prompt in a xterm console, gnome console or command line. Type:
info grub
This will bring you into a help system, you can advance through the help screens by hitting your space bar. There are other keys that do other things but this will get you started.
Good luck.

thanks mlazlo,

a single command grub-install /dev/hda works like a charm, now my next step is to get my stupid alcatel speedtouch usb to work, which won't happen anytime soon,

thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back