Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install IIS 5.0 on different drive other then root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEL33

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
How do you install IIS 5.0 on windows 2000 to a different drive other then the root?

Why would you want to do that? You can have your website root directory to be in any drive you want, but to install IIS, i think it is set to be installed wherever your root Windows directory is.

Of course you can do that, and it's in fact a good thing to do because most attacks rely on IIS to be installed in it's default location (C:\Inetpub\) simply by moving IIS to drive D: you have eliminated a great deal of exposure.

Even thou this is possble, the technique used requires that Windows be installed with an unattended script, however, I sucessfully done just what you asking in IIS 5 after Windows and IIS were installed.

Microsoft answered this question in question: (Q274140), but the article is no longer found in the web site, I keept a copy of it on my server (lucky me) which you can access here: this is the original tech article that explained the process of moving IIS default drive/folder, it provides a script that you have to: copy > create > change > run this script can also change dirs for SMTP/FTP and other services, disable the services you don't have or need to change.

All the best, keep me informed.

------------------------------
------------------------------

Just want to reiterate what TheScien said. Keeping your IIS off of the C-drive is very important. It's good to see people asking about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back