Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install HP-UX on server with no CDROM device

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozlow

MIS
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have an old RP2470 running HP-UX 11.11. I would like to scratch it and start from scratch.

My problem is that the unit does not have any CD or DVD reader.

Is there any way else to re-install the OS?

I have created an IGNITE backup to another server....

If you have an Ignite server, then you can boot off the network (I think your LAN cable needs to be plugged into the Core I/O for this). In order to do this, your Ignite server must be on the same subnet as the target, or you must have a boot helper on the same subnet.

Another option if you have a tape drive attached is to create a build tape. I'm not very familiar with the process to do this, but maybe someone else on here can help with this one?

I got this from ITRC:

I think to re-install its HP-UX 11.11 from scratch, a good way is using Ignite-UX via a network boot:
Check this reference:
Ignite-UX Quick Start Guide
Create an Ignite-UX Server and Cold-Install Clients

I was trying to use the CDROM on the Ignite Server to install the base OS HP-UX 11.11 on the client.

This explained how to create an OS Depot and use that to install....

Thanks for the help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back