Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Exchange into existing domain with different domain name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdcore

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
I am going to be installing Exchange 2003 on a new Windows Server 2003 machine. The existing network has 2 Windows 2000 domain controllers, and the domain name on this network is "domain.local". Email is currently hosted externally through a POP3 service. We are bringing email in-house for the company domain name which i will call "company.com" for easy reference.

My questions are:
- How do I go about adding the public domain name (company.com) for exchange? I have set up exchange in companies who already used their external domain name for their internal domain, but never for a company who used a generic internal domain. Will I have the ability to do this during the install?
- Will Exchange automatically add email accounts when setting up a new user through active directory like it does with companies who use their public domain name as their internal domain?
- Should I set up this new Exchange 2003 machine to also be a domain controller? It will have Windows 2003 Standard Server, while the existing domain controllers are 2000 Server.

Thanks in advance!

The windows domain name has no relationship to the email domain name. All you need is a routing and a recipient policy.

Let's use your example. On your internal network, the windows domain name is domain.local. You presumably have a firewall that seperates your internal network from the internet. Your company has registered the internet domain name company.com, for which DNS is hosted somewhere in the real world by an ISP. What you need is:

1. Have your ISP create an A record, PTR record, and MX record for you that point to the external interface of your firewall.
2. Set your firewall to redirect port 25 to your Exchange server.
3. On your exchange server, set the default recipient policy to create a primary smtp address of user @company.com.

That's it. Messages bound for company.com will be forwarded to your exchange server, and your exchange server will accept delivery for company.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back