Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install disk cleanup without adding desktop experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
From what I've found in searching, there doesn't seem to be a way to install "disk cleanup" with out adding the full "desktop experience", and most people are turning to CCleaner as an alternative to installing desktop experience. On one hand, I'd rather use the built in tool, but on the other hand, there's no way I want things like Windows Media Player or Photo Management on my server.
Has anyone found a way to install "disk cleanup" in server 2008 without having to add the full "desktop experience"?

Thanks in advance.

After you install the Desktop Experience can you uninstall the specific bits that you don't want?

The "desktop experience" capability in Windows 2008 was created essentially for power users who run a server OS on their primary desktop/laptop machine OR for terminal services. So it's going to literally run in as Windows 7-ish fashion as possible.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Nope, as I understand it, it's an "all or nothing" deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back