Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install CP 50 voice mail licenses.. HELP Pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eitsalo

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2006
CA
Hello All,
I am purchasing 50 more mail box licenses and the're quoting around $5000.00 Canadian (I think it is OK) but quoting $980.00 on installing charges. I think it is too much. what is involve to add 50 more licenses on the CP Version 2.01 please? We have Option 11C.
Please help me.
Thanks in

Sounds like after hours work plus a reboot on the callpilot.

I believe the licenses can be added to without a reboot. If you decrease or take licenses away, a reboot is needed though. Not sure who I heard this from.

I would suggest adding licenses to accommodate your users, and schedule the reboot for when its convenient for you. You can schedule it in conjunction with your routine maintenance e.g., updating patches quarterly etc.

Thank you, Is there a procedure out there that I can review to see if we shouldn't spend $980.00?

They should just need to re-run configuration wizard and input the new keycodess. Once this is done, they will be able to verify the new limits and when this is done, the Server will need to reboot.

This shouldn't take longer than the 15 minutes or so to do this.

Now you have to consider a lot of things when looking at a price. What you don't see is:

1. cost of engineering the solution
2. cost of scheduling the technicians
3. overtime cost to come out and perform this

These are all added to the quotes. So ask them to give you a idea as to what they are going to do for the price you have been given.

John

Thank you John. This is the first time I am dealing with CP licensing I wanted to handle it myself if it takes only 15 min or so. I would appreciate if you or some has how to do this procedure.
Thanks again...

Eitsalo:

Pay the $980 if the request for details comes back similar to what janaya said.

If you reboot your Call Pilot and it fails to come back up, you will pay a hell of a lot more for your tech to come out on Emergency service!!! It's cheap insurance that you will have someone there to bring your system back to life when compared with after-hours dispatch. This kind of nickel-and-diming only works so many times and then it comes back and bites you in the a$$ with a vengeance later.

Have your vendor do a full backup prior to adding the licences (1 hour-ish to a local network drive) if it makes you feel like you are getting value for money by using up tech's time.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will spend the money just to save my a$$.
Thanks again..

The difficult thing for the end user to deal with is the large charges that come with small requests, but understand that Nortel is kinda facilitaing this.

When scheduled work on the new Call Pilot and CS1K is taking place, via a vendor, Nortel is requiring full certification from prometric from the technicians installing, before they ship the equipment. This is causing companies to shell out a little more now for Nortel Ceritified Technicians, which in turn is causing a small increase in Professional Services.

The only other option is to have Nortel do the work at the $150.00 to 200.00 per hour, 3 hour minimum, they charge.

Hopefully this will be the last time you have to do this.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back