Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install cd sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJSRich

MIS
Dec 4, 2008
GB
We've built our infrastructure off of Server 2003 R1. Yeah yeah, time for an upgrade. My office had just recieved a new server to put in place as another DC, as we only have one on-site.

Shortly after arriving, one of the drives started giving off predictive failure warnings, got a replacement drive a couple days later from Head Office, slapped it in, and kaboom. RAID controller decided to re-initialize the array rather than tell me the drive I had just put in was 500MB smaller than the other drives in the array. Not fun, and yeah, I should have checked it first... schoolboy error. Anyhow, since it is a new server, we have no bare metal recovery, none of the good stuff our two other servers have. Small shop, you see. Inexperienced admin - me.

Anyhow, I go to find the CD, which is stored in a common storage area above a workshop. After some hunting, I find it under the shelving unit, scratched to heck. No problem, I have an ISO somewhere, right? Noooo, it's sitting on a server in Head Office and I can't pull that much data over the WAN without killing some of our other critical apps.

Internet is fine, is there anywhere that I can get the Server 2003 Standard R1 iso from? I tried seedier corners of the net, but everything I found is R2, MSDN, TechNet, and even DreamSpark only have R2 available, when available. Any thoughts or do I just get Head Office to push me the ISO outside business hours? We've gone without a second DC for a year, a day or two shouldn't hurt, right?

Just have Head Office burn you a disk and FedEx it overnight..

I tried seedier corners of the net
Not so sure I'd ever trust my business environment to something I downloaded from the seedier parts of the Internet. A lot of those ISO images are infected with various malware components.

We've gone without a second DC for a year, a day or two shouldn't hurt, right?
There should be at least two DCs in the head office to begin with. If one goes down, users in that office would still be authenticating to a local DC.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Well, Head Office has copied the needed ISOs on to our first DC overnight over the WAN. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back