Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install best practices: partitioning IIS, cold fusion, mySQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naranja67

Programmer
May 29, 2003
US
I have a chance to reinstall everything on our web server, and I want to do it right. It's a IBM box with dual P3, RAID-5 (3x18), Win 2000 server, IIS 5. Running Cold Fusion, and we'll be adding mySQL (data files are relatively small) to get away from a shared DB server. Last developer put everything on C, which I'm not comfortable with.

I'm looking for the best mix of performance and security, what are the best practices for partitioning this configuration?

I'm thinking something like the following partitions:

- Win 2K OS
- IIS, CF, and web files
- mySQL and data files
- extra partition, or for web logs

Does this make general sense?
Does it makes sense to have IIS and CF running in a different partition from the OS?
Is it recommended to have the app server and web files together?
Where do other Apps usually go?

Any resources or links are appreciated. What I'd really like to understand is the theoretical background of partitioning in this fashion so I can sort this for myself.

Finally, any suggestions on partitioning software? Partition magic was recommended, but their server solution is $600 and that's too much. Has anyone tried Partition Magic on a server?

Thanks in advance for answers to any or all of the above.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back