Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Antivirus 2008 over 2007 and use 2007 definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnm377

Programmer
Feb 3, 2005
CA
My subscription to Antivirus 2007 runs out shortly so I want to renew. I have all the latest definitions etc installed as I am a subscriber and get the updates on a regular basis from Symantec.
I bought the AntiVirus 2008 on sale and want to install it.

My experience with previous installs is that it will install successfully but then want to dial up to Symantec and download all the latest definitions, etc.

As I already have the latest definitions etc already I don't want to download what I already have.

I am running dial up from my internet service and in the past the new install download takes up to 3 hours. I would like to avoid this if possible.

My question is ; can I install the 2008 version and use the latest updates that I already have ? How do I do it ?

You'd better address Symantec Support. But you should mind:

When contacting Symantec Technical Support you have the following options:

Standard Care - 541-465-8420

Standard Care support is free for all registered users for 90 days from the date of their first call.

Priority Care offers two access options that guarantee faster service:

800-927-3991: A fee of $29 per incident will be charged to your credit card. This is a good option for error messages and more in-depth problems.

900-646-0007: A fee of $2 per minute will be charged to your phone bill. This is a good option for how-to, can-I, and reference manual questions.

Hi johnm377,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team here. I can provide you with the steps to ensure a clean installation of Norton AntiVirus 2008.

You will need to completely remove Norton AntiVirus 2007 using the Norton Removal Tool, prior to installing Norton AntiVirus 2008. It is very important that your Internet connection is working properly during the installation, to assure that the "Automatic" feature of LiveUpdate runs correctly.

Please follow the steps below.1. Click on the link below, and carefully follow the instructions to use the Norton Removal tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After the tool has run and removed all Norton products, restart your computer.

3. When your computer is back up and running, make sure that your Internet connection is working properly.

4. Insert the Norton AntiVirus 2008 CD into your computer and begin the installation. Towards the end of the installation, LiveUpdate will run and download and install any necessary program and definition files.

After then installation has completed, restart your computer.

As long as your computer is logged in and connected to the Internet, LiveUpdate will automatically run in the background and download and install updates needed for Norton AntiVirus 2008.

Please follow these instructions and post back to this thread and let me know if you were successful.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

John, is it possible to find a buddy with a DSL/cable and then you or he go to the Symantec site to download the virus defs and burn to USB or CD so you'd have them and could use those in lieu of the live update after the install?

Even better, take your PC to the buddy's house to use that fast connection? My mom has dialup, and I have DSL, and I routinely bring her PC to my house for updates or burn to a CD and take to her.

John
things are not that easy.
1. It does not only update the virus defs.
2. It checks the subscription time of the product - symantec doesnot have such upgrades from 2007 to 2008 or so free.
3. It downloads lots of core files files for the product when u live update for the first and secind time.

so to be safe with nav u have to liveupdate.

4. If u want only defs to be upgraded, then u can download the int. updater and integrate it prior to installation.
that will upgrade virusdefs to current. But what about core files ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back