Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install an additional Lan card Netware 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac2

Technical User
May 15, 2002
GB
I am attempting to install an additional Lan card in a Compaq Proliant 6000 Server and wonderd if any one has any tips. I.E. How do I get NetWare to recognise it, configure it. How do you get it to either load share or act as a failover.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Big Mac2

all you need is the drivers for the card. Netware recognizes when a new device is installed right away.

I think I can help with part of this. I would print out the autoexec.ncf, startup.ncf from sys:\system and the initsys.ncf and netinfo.cfg files from sys:\etc for reference. Make sure you have Netware server drivers for the card (the .lan and .ldi files). Copy them to sys:\system. Down the server and unplug the power. Install the card. Power the server back up. I'm assuming you have the Compaq's System Config Utility installed in the System Partition so you would then hit F10 after the machine POSTs but before Netware. Go into the Utility and add the card and make any necessary configurations and save the configuration. Reboot the server. After it POSTs and after the System Partition option but before Netware you can hit F5 to get to the dos prompt. You can then type server -ns -na at the prompt to bypass the startup.ncf and autoexec.ncf files.

Once in Netware it seems that there are a couple of ways to do the card. You could use inetcfg to configure the card. It will transfer the appropriate settings to initsys.ncf and place a call to this file in autoexec.ncf.

You could also use nwconfig to edit the autoexec.ncf file with the appropriate load and bind settings for your environment.

I am not sure how to configure Netware to load balance as I have not done this before.

I would do all of the above except boot up with SERVER -NS. You're better off letting the server boot up with it's existing configuration, then configuring the new card in INETCFG. Providing the drivers are on the server, there should be no problems binding IPX and/or IP to the new card. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the Help, it is much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

BigMac2

Bigmac2,

I found a setting under Monitor-Server Parameters-Communications called Load Balance Local LAN with the options being On or Off.

I have been able to do load balancing with IPX using Inetcfg utility. It was pretty easy. But, for IP, it was much more difficult. I only did it on a test server.

We have Dell NW5.1 servers with Intel nics. I searched Dell's site for an article named "How to Team Two Intel NICs" (TT1048189). After setting up the Autoexec.ncf manually according to the instructions it still did not work. I spoke at length with Dell tech support to find the typos in the article. Eventually, it did actually work. But, when I tried to load the configuration into inetcfg, it broke. Apparently, inetcfg could not load all of the parameters properly. That is as far as I got. Hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back