Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install Access Point to extend the wireless range

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1Pat

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2004
US
hello all,
i'm new about this and i'm trying to extend our wireless range in the house.

A little info, I currently use AirLink+ Router, which also is WLAN. I bought an AirLink101 Access Point which I want to locate somewhere in the middle of the house so that any room in the house be able to access to the internet wirelessly. Problem is: I really don't want run cable from the router to this access point at all since it is about a hundred feet away (3 rooms to go throught).

What i did: I connected the two units together and followed the AP instruction setting it up so that the 2 units have the same SSID, Channel, Encryption, Key...

DOESN'T WORK!!!

Problem so far: After I disconnected the ports between the 2 units and located the AP at a designed area, the AP shorten up the wireless range of the router that used to reach, and said "limited or no connection", while I can see the wireless signal in my laptop's wireless connection was at its MAX.

So, what should I do now? Or must I utilize the LAN cable in order to make it work?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back