Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install a new printer/Install PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveLord

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US

I'd like to get a printer setup on here. The old Panasonic crapped out a while ago and now I'd like the ability to print out the TN lists.

Is there restrictions on what kind of printer I install? Does it have to be oldschool dot matrix? Do desjket/laserjets work also?

SECONDLY

I got a PC in the closet down here with the terminal (so I can view this board of course hehe.) How difficult is it to get the PC to interact with the terminal? Do I need to purchase an upgrade of some sort?

I see some people do what literally looks like copying and pasting their LDs on here. Sure would beat having to type that junk on here.

Thanks.

IT Admin (Meridian/PBX Newbie)
SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

It doesn't just look like copy/paste - it IS copy/paste. :)

I've never used anything but an old dot matrix (oki 320) so I can't say if a laser printer will work...

As for the PC, my 61C connected to my old pc via the serial com port - but it was set up before I got here. I know my 61C has several TTY port cables hanging out the back and you have to set up one in the switch to talk to your PC. I don't know how your Option11 is set up but I am under the impression that everything is pretty much the same except the physical cabinet is smaller - programming-wise they are very similar if not exactly the same.

You will need software to talk to the switch - we had OTM so that's what I used - there was an emulation (called the Overlay Passthru) that mimics a console so you can program with the command line and print out loads and info just like the console does. A lot of folks around here prefer Procomm and I can't argue against it - especially if you don't already have OTM - those scripts they post can do wonderous things.

just connect com 1 of your pc to the tty port
your terminal is hooked up to( or a spare port)
and use hyperterm, but if you can get a copy of
procomm plus, that would be a much better way to
go and way cheaper than OTM.

and then just add the laser/deskjet printer to your PC and set up procomm or hyperterm to use the newly added printer to print out all the TNs you want.

You can also use a store bought usb to db 25 cable to connect to the switch TTY cable (gender benders may be needed). Then select the port used on the Hyper/Procomm program. This works if your com. 1 is in use for something else. Otherwise, like in the above posts; com. 1 is the best bet.

best bet.. do a drop test on the dumb term.. drop a pc in on that desk, get a copy of procomm and map a network printer it.. seems strange that without phones your not in business but most people don't want to spend a few $ to clean up that access path.. back when 486 was the new toy on the block i grabbed the old 286's for all my switchrooms.. you don't need a high end pc, your not taxing the cpu.. but i recogmend keeping txt files of everything in the switch.. a paper copy is better then nothing but just barely..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Here's what I got on the back of the terminal.

-Printer has a cable that is parralel on 1 end and an RJ11 on the other end to Comm3

-Comm 1 which connects to the main part of the system

-An open Comm1 port which has DB25 male pins

-A female DB25 with a printer icon

-An open RJ11 port labeled Comm2

-Keyboard port

I can't much info on Procomm, besides a few features on the symantec site. Was hoping for screenshots to see what it looks like. Does it basically allow me to issue commands from a PC?

SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

PC's have Serial ports, the phone system has serial ports. connect them together. Usuually 9600, 8, n, 1.

I listed all that was there. No serial ports on the terminal.

SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

What you've listed above as comm 1 is likely the serial connection back to your PBX. It sounds like you're using a DEC VT420 terminal. They have 2 connections for comm1 and a serial connection for a serial printer (comm 3 most likely).

Take johnpoole's advice and drift the vt...take your PC you found in the closet and connect the cable you took off comm 1 of the VT to the 9 pin com1 connector on the back of the PC. You'll likely need to use some DB25 to DB9 adapters.

Then you can connect a parallel or USB printer to the PC to be able to print. It's really alot easier than it sounds!!

What are some of the advantages to Procomm? (need ammunition to feed to my boss)

I found it on eBay for $112, so I think thats a good price considering its normally $150 from Symantec.

Does it come with a good manual? User friendly?

Thanks.

SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

I think the thing everybody talks about that I don't get to participate in is the scripts - you can write procomm scripts to do all kinds of things for you switch. John Poole has a ton of 'em and I think GHTrout and some other regulars have some on their websites.

And considering if you starting from nothing 100 bucks or so is WAY cheaper than OTM.

You can scrape by with Hyperterm just to get used to how things work until your Procomm comes in (just don't tell your boss). I never liked hyperterm even when I was just playing with it back in the old modem days - I think I'd hate to have to use it for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back