Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instalation Centos 6.0 from livecd and failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ady2012

MIS
Jun 6, 2010
US
I have downloaded Centos 6.0 livecd
And I tried to instal it to harddrive.
But I failed to continue the instalation process when I should enter root password but pop up error message and exit from instalation Centos 6.0 livecd.
Any suggestion to solve this problem.
Or something wrong with my centos 6.0 livecd.
Thanks...

A couple of thoughts, but first what was the error message?

Are you sure that you have the right version, e.g. 64 vs 32 bit?

A bum CD image is a typical cause of installation failure. Did you verify the image md5sum or GPG sum? You can also use a tool like DD to verify the CD after burning and before you try to install.

I used 32bit centos 6.0 livecd.
Centos 6.0 livecd is working fine without any error messages. But when I did the installation from centos 6.0 livecd and failed enter root password after I defined the host name.

Please take a look at this article: which is the step by step centos directions (I am not trying to say you need instructions - but one part of it caught my attention).

The password part is entering the desired root password. I doubt if this part is the actual problem. According to the article, the next step is partitioning of the drives. If there were to be a problem with the installation, this is one area that wouldn't surprise me. A LiveCD does not necessarily use the HDD either, which corroborates with your experience.

Is there anything unusual about your hard drive, e.g. being an SSD or is it a particularly old system or something. I am wondering if the LiveCD is missing an needed driver or something.

As a diagnostic experiment, run the live CD and try mounting your HDD and see if you can access it.

Also, what is the error message or "symptom" of the failure?

I have installed Centos 6 a dozen of time now already and all off then gave me no problems at all.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

My centos 6.0 livecd got a problem. After I installed centos 6.0 livecd iso to usb flashdisk. And I am able to boot from centos 6.0 usb flashdisk. Finally I can install centos 6.0 livecd to harddrive using Centos 6.0 Usb flash disk successfully without any error messages.I burned centos 6.0 livecd iso file to blankcd. Centos 6.0 livecd was working fine without installation to harddrive.
Thanks....:)

Glad that you got it working. I read, and was going to post here, a message on a LUG mailing list from last night that someone was having problems with their drive not being recognized when using a 3.0 Kernel. Obviously that isn't your problem, but it would have been another thing to consider.

strangely, sometimes the setup just looses the connectivity to the DVD/CD drive, possibly a chipset problem somewhere, seen it happen on Windows 2k8R2 also...

and the experience that once you had it installed on the USB stick and installed it locally from there, would suggest the above scenario...

glad that you found a work around...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back