Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspiron loses network adapter after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylife

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
GB
Hi all

I have an inspiron 5100 Laptop that was working perfectly but now after a reboot I lose the broadcom network adapter. It is just ! marked in the device manger. I delete it, scan for hardware changes, the PC finds it and installs it. No worries at all. It then works without a problem.

Nothing has chnaged on the PC (to my knowledge and it is mine), runs XP Pro with SP 2 (the SP 2 has been on it for a while and the error has just started). Has 769 MB Ram and 60GB 7200 RPM Hard drive (have checked to see if it overheats as the HD and the network adapter are in the same location it doesn't and anyway it would shut it down before I reboot).

I have seen this on an older dell laptop as well with win 2000, is it a Dell thing.

Thanks for any help

Try downloading the latest driver from Dell

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Hi

I have the latest driver from Dell, seems to be the same as the original driver. No luck yet.

Thanks for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back