Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insight Manger not allowing to mark items corrected... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneworld

MIS
Sep 3, 1999
US
Has anyone seen the following problem:<br>
<br>
Insight Manager reports an error for a machine. You go through your normal steps and verify everything is alright. When you go into Insight Manager to mark the item corrected it gives you an error message to verify your community strings and will not let you mark the item corrected. Yes everything is fine with the community strings etc.<br>
<br>
I know some people have seen this based on the Compaq.com forum but no solid info has been given there. I am hoping someone hear can help.<br>
<br>
Thanks <p> <br><a href=mailto: oneworld@goes.com> oneworld@goes.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

If its a old 5000 box you will have to erase the EISA partition and rebuild it no other solution. Upgrades, reservice pack SNMP reinstall uninstall and reinstall'ed CIM, tried it all didnt work.

I run into the very same problem with my Compaq servers. Some of them are 3000's and some are 1850's. I have foundthis behavior very strange indeed and unfortunatly can offer no explanation. What I do is bring up IML and connect to that host and mark the log entries repaired. [sig][/sig]

I have had this happen to me. The way I have fixed this problem on several machines is run the diagnotics at the F10 prompt on startup. The diags will identify the problem and say something like &quot;2 problems found. Have these been fixed yet&quot; or something like that. You answer yes, and let the diags run to completion. Reboot the machine and you should then be able to clear these errors from the console.

This is probably related to the SNMP Community string, especially the Control Community string, which allows set commands to be sent back to the host.

To troubleshoot change your control community string on your host to public. Under device setup in CIM make sure the community string is public as well.

You should then be able to clear your errors from CIM.

Thanks to oneworld for getting this thread started for me.
I am having the exact same problem with CIM. Brand new
DL360's used Smart Start to bring them up.

Installed CIM 5.1 on workstation and won't work won't even
show green or red light. Upgraded to CIM 5.2 and installed
current SOFTPAQ on server and now have green light
but can't remotely mark an error as cleared.

I can check the community string on my CIM but how do I do this on the DL360? We used to be using Dell's but now using
Compaqs. I really don't care which we use I just have never used CIM.

Any help or documentation would be great.

Thanks

Me again,

I also went into CIM on workstation and changed community string and it failed to even connect (as it should).

Changed it back and it connects but won't clear. The only other option from the error message is the enable sets but again having trouble doing this server side as I probably just don't know where to look.

Thanks again

Seeing logged errors without being able to change them through CIM is a natural side-effect of a securely set SNMP environment. If your SNMP community string is READ-ONLY, (as opposed to READ-WRITE) and your Management Agents don't allow Sets you will get this exact behavior... the ability to read without the ability to modify entries.

However, the fix is NOT to make the SNMP read-write, which is an ugly security hole.

Try this: On your monitoring desktop, launch the latest supportpaq and install *only* the Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer. The CIM Log Viewer lets you attach to the remote system using a different security mechanism and you should be able to modify/repair the alerts.

Note, the CIM Log Viewer will complain each time it's started if it's not on a non-compaq system (my pc's a Dell) saying that the &quot;The requested machine is not running the Compaq Remote Monitor Service...&quot; That's okay. Just set the remote computer's name in the &quot;Machine&quot; field and it should bring up that server's CIM logs for you to mark Repaired.

I am going to assume that most of these errors are on systems running WIN2K. WIN2K, by default, sets security on SNMP service as READ ONLY. CIM (regardless of version) needs READ,CREATE privledges for the user to be able to clear errors.
On NT 4 systems I have found that clearing the SNMP thresholds on the Compaq agents will clear up this problem.

I can mark things as corrected, so the community strings are not an issue, but one of our ProLiant 1500s still shows as degraded. There are still errors in the critical error log, but these have been &quot;Marked as repaired&quot; Any ideas?

Upgrade to the 5.3 agents and you can establish a &quot;Trusted connection&quot; between the server agents and the CIM7 console - now you can automatically login to the agent by simply clicking on the server name in the console. YOu will be able to clear events as you would expect to.

Unfortunately, we don't use CIM7 - we use CIM 4.9 as the machine it sits on is NT4 and not the newest machine in the world.

Servers are Novell IntranetWare 4.11
Workstation is NT4

Is there any way of clearing these events *without* CIM7?

I have solved the problem I was experiencing (above)
I was attempting to install CIM 7 to see if that would allow me to mark the error corrected, and had to update the Microsoft Data Access components. I did this, and eventually gave up trying to install CIM 7 due to time constraints. However - on launching Insight Manager, I found I was able to mark the original item corrected. I'm guessing that data access on the PC I was using had either got screwed, or during the installation some other component was replaced. Anyway, the upshot is the item is corrected and all 60 odd servers now show as green.
:) no, :) no, more like [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back