Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserts running slower

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsac

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US
i have a table that is now running very slow on inserts.

Currently the Clustered Index is a Decimal, with a precision of 18, which is 9 Bytes. I want to change it to INT, so it take only 4 bytes. Will that help with performance? or just lessen the disk space needed?

The Avg page density of the clustered index is about 92%. But i only insert data at the end of the table, will still cause page splits? I was thinking of rebuilding the index with a fill factor of say 50%, but wouldnt that just leave a lot of half full data pages, since i only add data at the end?

The non clustered indexes are also aroun 90% full. I would assume lessening the fill factor on these would boost performance?

Finally, can i tell how often the database size grows? is it logged anywhere? i want to hard code the growth of the DB and log, so it doesnt auto grow anymore.

is there anything i am missing?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Q

First of all, @@version, and more details about the db and table would help such as number of rows.

>Currently the Clustered Index is a Decimal, with a precision of 18, which is 9 Bytes. I want to change it to INT, so it take only 4 bytes. Will that help with performance? or just lessen the disk space needed?
**Both. But you haven't provided enough info about number of transactions, table size, etc.

>The Avg page density of the clustered index is about 92%. But i only insert data at the end of the table, will still cause page splits? I was thinking of rebuilding the index with a fill factor of say 50%, but wouldnt that just leave a lot of half full data pages, since i only add data at the end?
**I assume you mean you're adding data to the end of the clustered index based upon the decimal value. But yes, you'll still end up with page splits, and lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back