Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Word document into drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULCALLAGHAN

Technical User
Sep 4, 2001
CA
I'm using AutoCad LT 2000 and would like to insert a MS Word document. I'm not sure if I want to embed or link it. I'm fairly new in this area.

The drawing is always one page in length but the document varies in length. Their output orientation is opposite. The drawings we want landscape, and the document should be portrait.

I've tried embedding the drawing into the document but its not a smooth process.

Can someone please help me with linking/embedding the document into a drawing? Is there any 3rd party software that would help me?

Any comments/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Linking and embedding is a tricky process at best. The big secret here is when you link or embed, you are at the mercy of your clipboard size capabilities, meaning your results are usually unpredictable. With larger documents, I have seen: all of it come in, only some of it, and sometimes its scaled so small a magnifying glass won't help.

Having said that, if you decide embedding is way to go, a better suggestion might be to do a paste special, and paste the entities as AutoCAD text (or AutoCAD entities). This way, you have better control over sizing and positioning.

If you link the document, because you may have to do many changes to the document, or someone else is doing changes to the document, linking is the probably the better choice. Once the document is linked inside AutoCAD, you'll be able to scale the document to fit your drawing - sometimes. As I mentioned above, sometimes the entire document won't show even though you stretch and/or scale the image, the text just gets larger or smaller depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

I have known users who do it all three ways, but I have to admit, they always use small documents usually reserved for notes etc. I personally opt for the paste special and then if the text changes, I just wipe it out and insert the new changes.

Sorry I don't have a concrete answer for you but I hope that helped.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back