Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Text from a Text File

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmithmme

Technical User
Jun 3, 2004
US
I am using Crystal 8.5 on a Paradox DB. Customer has requested the terms of their contract be inserted into the rental agreement, however, they would like to be able to edit the terms without needing to do it in Crystal. They would like to be able to edit a text file in Notepad (or even a Word file) and when the report runs it reads those terms into the report each time it is run. Then, if they change some conditions, it will update automatically. I was thinking of the Insert OLE Object, but that isn't working.. Is this possible? I am guessing I would have to set the path to the file too? Can it read if it's the same folder as the report? Thanks in advance.

Inserting OLE object should work if the Word document is a single page.

Inserting the content of a Text file can also be done via a UFL (User File Library). You can create such a UFL yourself or see listing of 3rd-party Crystal Reports utilities at At least one of the UFLs listed there provides functions that allow Crystal formulas to get the content of a text file.

hth,
- Ido

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back