Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inserting PPT & PDF at the end of a Word doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

denacho

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
i have been asked to research the following for a co-worker. we will assume Word 2007 at this point:

My only question/problem that I have at this time is with formating my appendices. I have to include all the documents that I used as handouts at my event, in the appendices. Where I am running into trouble is inserting powerpoint documents as well as pdf files. I have a couple of each and need to get page numbers on them sequentially with the rest of the appendices. Is there a way to import those documents into a word document without distorting the original document

i've done some tests with Insert | Object, but that does not seem to work. the PPT just shows up as one page that you can double click on & go to the slide show. she does not want to go to the slide show, she wants each slide to be a separate page that can pick up the numbering that Word is using. the PDF simply comes in as an icon that can be double clicked to open her Reader - again, not what she needs, it has to basically be "pasted" into the Word document so all pages are there for printing & pick up the numbering.

i was able to do a copy/paste each slide into a new page in Word & get what she wanted, so i may be able to use that (cumbersome but doable). the pdf though is not so easy. my only thought is she needs something that can convert the pdf to a "writeable" format (like Acrobat, etc) so it can then be copy/pasted into the larger Word document & added where she needs it.

am i missing another option(s)? anyone have any better ideas?

When you insert an object that has more than one page (eg a multi-page PDF or a PPT file with multiple slides) into Word, only the first page will display. The only way around this is to insert each page individually (eg via copy & paste).

IMHO, the requirement that PDFs and PPT files be included in a Word file is unreasonable. If you need that kind of functionality, save each file as a PDF, then merge the PDF files into a single PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro or a similar product.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

thank you both. i will pass that on to her. i think it's a bit unreasonable too but it is her thesis & thesis committees are known for that sort of thing.

PowerPoint 2007 (and I guess later, don't know about earlier) has the option to "Create Handouts in Microsoft Word".

Office Button | Publish...

yes, explained to her the pdf was going to be the bigger problem unless she had Acrobat. i have not heard back from her & most people only have Reader. i'll be surprised if she has more than Reader, but you never know! thanks again for the help!

thanks once more to everyone that answered here. i was able to test converting a pdf to Word using Nitro & advised her on that. it's up to her now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back