Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting pages using a selection button

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENDIGIT

Programmer
Mar 26, 2003
US
Hi;
In one of my earlier threads, I asked about a problem I was having with a method called insertPages. It would get an error and report that there was problem with the pdf security. I now find that it is not a security problem but a problem of trying to do it outside of the batch,console or menu events.

Here is what I'm trying to do.
1. there are about 30 pdf Documents - one page each.
2. the main document to be diplayed has 6 pages
3. if upon selecting a button(yes) I want to insert a
specific page from the 30 pdf files that will cover
content for the button area.

Any Ideas on how to do this???

Thanks
Ken Burleigh

I don't know. I gave up on Acrobat's confusing and poorly documented API quite awhile ago. Since I know PostScript, I do all such document management tasks in PostScript, and create the PDF only as the final, last step in producing a document.

I'm not telling you to go learn PostScript (though I can help, hint hint, check the website, etc. etc.).

I am saying that perhaps it would be best to abandon Acrobat for this task and look either a little further upstream (automate the source documents... use VBA for Word, for example), or use a better post-production tool than Acrobat. For example, activePDF Toolkit for server-based PDF manipulation.

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

I'm using Acro v5.05, and to get around this problem of security I use a button to activate a batch script via 'Execute menu item' action. For me it is used to initiate the saveAs method using field values of the current document for the new filename. I also have a group of around 20 users who use the same function, which means that I have to install and maintain the individual batch scripts required on each users PC - not ideal but it works quite well.

The only problem I could foresee is that I heard on the grapevine that Acro 6 does not allow menu items to be executed in this way - I've not used v6 yet, so perhaps someone else might like to comment on this?

Rule Britannia, Britannia Waives the Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back