Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting media files into tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaaa

Technical User
Jan 15, 2002
US
I am trying to create a table for keep tracking the pdf documents. In order to do this i want to create a table which holds the thousands of PDF documents or the link to each of these documents.
My question is how do create such a table and how to insert media files into that table?

Thanks

Hi

You need to know where you want the documents insight Oracle or outside and use BFILE.

Consider this:

1. If a lot of the PDF files are below 4K – then store files insight Oracle and ‘inline’ is a possibility within the table.
2. If a lot of the PDF files are updated regular (ex. version) - then BFILE is best because documents can be updated from source without going through Oracle.
3. Use only BFILE if files are saved on/controlled by the Oracle server. Documents then also have some level of security.

Storing documents insight Oracle:
--------------------------------
CREATE TABLE PDF_Docs ( pdf_document BLOB) TABLESPACE table_data
LOB ( pdf_document)
STORE AS ( TABLESPACE lob_space ENABLE STORAGE IN ROW
STORAGE( INITIAL 128K NEXT 128K PCTINCREASE 0 )
CHUNK 32768 PCTVERSION 20 NOCACHE NOLOGGING
INDEX ( tablespace index_data STORAGE ( INITIAL 128K NEXT 128K ) )
);

LOBS are stored in a LOB data segment. The data segment is made of CHUNKS. CHUNKS are contiguous set of blocks, number of bytes for I/O and LOB index points to CHUNK using Internal LOB ID and CHUNK starting address. CHUNK also used for versioning.

CHUNK must be multiple of database block size – and must be a value there you do not waste to much space. A document always takes at least one CHUNK.

In my example I used 32786 = database block size 8K x 4 = maximum Oracle.

Use small CHUNKS if many users – and to avoid network traffic (CHUNK=DB size=Network traffic)

PCTVERSION is important – because it is the maximum % of all LOB data space that can be occupied by old versions of LOB data CHUNKS (read consistency), otherwise you get a “snapshot too old”, because no rollback created on LOB data segments – but it does for LOB index.

Use DISABLE STORAGE IN ROW to avoid documents below 4K to bee storage in-line in table as a normal column data.

Storing documents outsight Oracle:
---------------------------------
The table creating is simple, but you have to make some other stuff.

1. Make a directory where Oracle server controls access. (ex. /oracle/oradata/pdf)
2. Grant access to directory and files from OS so Oracle can read the files (ex. chmod)
3. Login as SYSTEM (sysdba, sysoper)
4. CREATE DIRECTORY pdf_path as '/oracle/oradata/pdf';
5. GRANT READ ON DIRECTORY pdf_path to USERNAME;

Now login as USERNAME and:

CREATE TABLE pdf_docs ( pdf_document BFILE) TABLESPACE table_data;

Please note:

Do not create DIRECTORY items on paths with database files

You can grant “CREATE ANY DIRECTORY” and “DROP ANY DIRECTORY” to users.

Remember to pre-create directory paths and properly set permissions before using the DIRECTORY item so Oracle can read the file.

Then inserting rows, you use the pdf_path so no direct path in applications. You can change path without re-writing your code.

INSERT INTO pdf_docs VALUES( BFILENAME('pdf_path', 'test.pdf') );

Uploading data to LOBS:
----------------------
Use the package DBMS_LOB.

Regards
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back