Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting date automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbenaway

Instructor
Sep 19, 2002
Don't know if this is possble, but here goes. For simplicity sake, I have two columns A and B. Would like to set up column A to automatically enter the current computer system date when it detects that text or numbers are entered into column B. We have folks that enter lots of data and would like to make it easier for them without having to enter the date everytime.

Thanks for any imput.

A B
Jan 1, 2008 29
Jan 2, 2008 56

try this formula:
Code:
=if (b<>"", now(), " ")
Problem is this may change the date whenever new code is entered on a line. Locking in a date would probably require code, which, as they will tell you, is an entirely different forum.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Hi,

Can't be done without VBA code: Formu707.

Using =TODAY() or =NOW() does return the current data/time, but will not work for you as whenever the sheet is calculated, a NEW data/time value will be returned.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip, figured that but wasn't sure...

BTW the formula should have read...
Code:
=if([b-cell reference]<>"", =now(), " ")
But that's irrelevant since it doesn't lock it down...
Try the VBA forum. They can definitely give you a solution!

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Thanks, not worried about locking in the date, as once the data is enter, they will not be going back to change anything.

With that in mind, I tried both formulas above and both are giving me an error. Is it me or did I miss something. I placed the formula in Column A.

FYI: Any time the file is opened, the formula will be updated to the current date. I don't see how that's going to be useful.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

What FORMULA did you enter.

Again, the DATE that is returned will CHANGE as time goes on. This is not what you asked to happen!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

The [b-cell reference] is the cell that is next to the A cell. If A1, then formula will read
=if(b1<>"", now(), " ")
I messed up... included the = sign in =now() when it shouldn't have been there.
Once again, though, this will NOT lock the date in. It will just put in a value that re-calculates everytime the spreadsheet opens, or is changed.
I provided the solution as a baseline. You could just as easily made it...
=if(b1<>"", "Data Already Entered", " ")
and it would be effective is showing that something is in the B column. But not when it was entered.
Trust me, take it to the VBA forum and we can help you there...

Ken

-me
-Tony (wahnula)

I realize this isn't automatic but it may save some keystrokes if you're currently typing in the date manually. Remember that Ctrl+; enters the current date and Ctrl+: enters the current time into the active cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back