Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Animated .gif's in Access Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

perseco

Programmer
Mar 15, 2005
US
Does anyone know how to insert an animated .gif file into a Microsoft Access form?

Thanks,

Jason

Should still be around, but look on web for (I think) Gif89.
Also do a search on this site. Regards

Just did a search myself, enter "animated gif" in search, and look at third thread down. You will then find a FAQ on subject. Regards

With gif89.dll you have to make sure you register it on each of your users' machine. But it does work.

You could also insert the ActiveX control Microsoft Web Browser (which should already be on everyones machine). Suppose you name the ActiveX control MyGifFile, then in the OnOpen event of the form, enter something like this:

MyGifFile.Navigate "\\path\yourGifFile.gif"

I can't seem to find any where to download the Gif89.dll file. Any suggestions?

Jason

Okay.
I've downloaded the Gif89.dll file, copied it to C:\Windows\System on my Windows XP PC. I've registered it successfully with Windows. I've also registered it with Microsoft Access 2002. I've created a Gif89 class active x object on a blank form and I've assigned an animated .GIF file I download (which works fine when opened with Microsoft Picture Viewer) to the gif object. I still can't get it to work. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all of you guys help thus far.

Jason

Have you read and followed the FAQ I mentioned earlier?

I followed those directions to a T. The only thing I had to do different is during the windows registration piece instead of typing:
C:\Windows\System\Regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System\Gif89.dll in the Start\Run menu I used:
Regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System\Gif89.dll. I got an error doing it their way. Windows still said the dll file registered successfully. Everything else I did just the same and I can't get it to work. I don't know what I'm missing.

Thanks,

Jason

I just tried it at this end and it works okay. Have you entered the correct pathname & filename in the Filename of properties. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why its not working for you.

I copied and pasted the file path right out of the file path window. I even moved the gif file around on my pc and on to our network and it didn't work any of those places either. I sent it to another buddy to see if he can get it to work on his pc. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks for all your help.

Jason

Give the Web Browser a try. It's real simple. Should only take you about a minute to insert the ActiveX control, add the code to navigate, and test it.

I can't get that to work either. I think something within office is missing on our pc's here at work. I've tried it on more than one PC and it won't work on any of them.

Thanks anyway. Guess that's what I get for trying to be a little creative.

jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back