Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inserting a wmf file from autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay8173

Technical User
Jul 26, 2010
US
I am using autocad 10 to create my draings then better wfm by furix to take that image and make it a .wmf file and I do a insert (control V) into indesign 5. Indesign puts a red frame around the wmf file I am insertingwhich is sometimes much larger than the drawing itself. I then have to crop the red frame and it is time consuming. what can I do??

Metafile formats are not an ideal choice for commercially printed or online documents; they provide acceptable quality only when printed on low-resolution or non-PostScript printers from a Windows desktop...

...i would look into creating PDF from autocad and importing PDF instead...

andrew

============
============

low res printers is about all it will be used in.....the .wmf image is not my issue, the issue is when I do the control V to insert the drawing, the bounding box (in red) which naps to the guides in the document is often much larger on the right than the image.....how can I insert the image and the bonding box be tight around the image uniformly??

...sounds to me as though there is hidden structure around the image, as though elements have been clipped, but still exist around the clipped areas...

...without seeing what files you are dealing with is tricky to diagnose, but if your images are being imported larger than the visible graphic, then it is often a case that there are hidden lines or points around the artwork and it is therefore including those...

...you can try opening them in illustrator and see if they need cleaning up by viewing in outline mode and seeing if there are any extra bits hanging around...

andrew

============
============

sort of the what I had been thinking too, just didn't want to hear that...lol......thanks

...indeed, unfortunately as good as computers can be, these sort of annoyances are unavoidable if it is extra hidden structure hanging around, if it is the case your choices are to clean up in illustrator or just clip them in your page layout program...

...when compared it is more efficient to simply clip the image in your layout program, although still mundane if on a lot of graphics it is far less work than cleaning them up manually...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back