Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting a Long Integer into an MS Access Table with SQL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christineeve

Programmer
Feb 12, 2005
US
Hi
I hate to bother the community with such a trival question, but as much as I've researched since last week, for the life of me, I cannot see what is wrong with my syntax. Would you review my syntax and see if something leaps out at you and let me know what I might have missed?

My connection object works fine. My database is fine. When I pass this hardcoded query to my database it writes to the database. When I try to pass a value from the TextBox, the query stops with an error that say either that there is no value passed or there is a comma error.

I've researched this for several days. At this point, it would help to have expert eyes look at it and see if there are any suggestions.

This works:
Code:
Dim sSQLAddNameID = _
'"INSERT INTO tblEmpPersonal(pk_EmpInfoID) VALUES (10000001)"

This throws an error with every combination I've tried
Code:
    Dim sSQLAddNameID = _
    "INSERT INTO tblEmpPersonal(pk_EmpInfoID) VALUES (Trim(CInt(frmRibbonCtl.txtEmplyNo.Text))) "

I've researched this for days. Expert eyes with suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Also, all the other fields write just fine, but they're text fields. Next I have to write a date. I'm guessing whatever I'm doing wrong here will also be a problem with the date. Again, if I hardcode they pass into the database fine. It's passing from the form that's become a problem.
Thanks Christine

It shouldn't make any difference, but I always use ctype for almost all type conversions. The few times I've had to do the same thing that is what I used.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

Would you mine showing me an example. Nothing I'm trying is working. It throws a compile error.

Ah....

You are creating a string, but you are not actually concatenating your values.

Code:
    Dim sSQLAddNameID = _
    "INSERT INTO tblEmpPersonal(pk_EmpInfoID) VALUES ([!]" & [/!]Trim(CInt(frmRibbonCtl.txtEmplyNo.Text))[!] & "[/!]) "

If my explanation doesn't make sense, let me know.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

George! Thank you that worked like a dream! I have tears of gratitude in my eyes because I've fought with this for days.

Would you also, if you have time, give me an example of how to pass a birthday in?

I had concated # on the date. Like I normally would in access. I get a failure but it might be because of the problem with the field you just helped me with.

If you don't have time, thanks anyway. The help I received today here has saved the day!

Dates can be a little tricky because they are not formatted consistently throughout the world. Some people use month/day/year, and some use day/month/year. Setting these issues aside....

Access uses the # symbol to delimit dates. So, when you build your query in code, you need to make sure they are there.

For example, if you try to execute a query that looks like this:

[tt]Update tblEmpPersonal Set Birthday=#3/23/1970# Where pk_EmpInfoID = 5[/tt]

Your challenge is to build a string that looks like this using code. So, something like this...

Code:
    Dim sSQLAddNameID = _
    "Update tblEmpPersonal Set Birthday=#" & txtBirthday.Text & "# Where pk_EmpInfoID = " & Trim(CInt(frmRibbonCtl.txtEmplyNo.Text))

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

George,
The requirement is the US date format so we are ok there. But, you also helped me with my next quest which was working on the Updates.

I have all this working on hardcoded values and in the new data adapter stuff. I need to do it the old ADO.net SQL way and passing it in from the textboxes was not working right.

I appreciate your help so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back