Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserted USB device has stopped my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

handlebars

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
GB
When plugging in a usb device into my HP P4 everything just stopped - not even getting BIOS screen or any response.

Hard disk is ok and so is RAM, tested output from PSU and seems ok.

This isolates the mobo and processor - short of replacing both is there any way to find out which is faulty?

Could there be a problem with the PSU even though I am some power thru it?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Andrew

What model HP do you have? You may need a bios update.

Handlebars

What device was it and what operating system are you using? For USB devices, the driver should be installed in the OS before you plug the device in.

John

I hope the other device was not another computer connected with a USB cable or through a USB Hub. You well could be looking at a new motherboard.

The operating system is XP home and the device was some sort of mobile phone link. There was also a usb modem attached and also a usb printer.

I am currently putting in a new mobo, as from most feedback i have received suggests this the most likely cause.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

Andrew

Success - after having worries about my graphics card Nvidia GForce2 MX400 voltage issues (Gigabit mobo will only take apg x4 running at 1.5v or else it will burn it out!)

Unfortunatley I have put the hard drive from the pc in question into another pc (so that users can access data on it).

I have tried booting from another hard drive from my pc at home (which has w2k pro installed) and it gets to the starting windows screen and then blue screens saying theres an issue with the hard drive controller.

Tomorrow morning i am going to have to get the old hard drive back into the pc, will the operating system need reinstalling, or will XP home recognise the controllers and/or new mobo and carry on?

Any advice gratefully accepted...

Andrew

USB must be supported by the operating system in order to work. You might have to extract these files and download them to your computer. After this is done it should be able to pick up any USB connection you try to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back