Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert Trigger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonik

Programmer
Aug 3, 2000
US
Hi All,<br><br>I have an row level after insert trigger on table DEPT which calls a stored procedure to dynamically create a trigger on a different table based on the values inserted into table DEPT. I get the following error :<br><br>ORA-04092: cannot COMMIT in a trigger<br>ORA-06512: at &quot;SCOTT.PKG_GENERATE_TRIGGERS&quot;, line 166<br>ORA-06512: at &quot;SCOTT.PKG_GENERATE_TRIGGERS&quot;, line 277<br>ORA-06512: at &quot;SCOTT.TRG_RA_INS_DEPT&quot;, line 3<br>ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'SCOTT.TRG_RA_INS_DEPT'<br><br>I understand that you cannot have any commits inside the trigger body, however the same happens on an Alter trigger based at the schema level which is supposed to allow CREATE statements in the trigger body.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know how I get around this problem.<br>I am using Oracle8i 8.1.5.<br><br>Any help is appreciated greatly.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Ketan<br><br><br>

Hi Ketan,<br><br>You can try to use autonomous transaction (a new feature of 8i). All you have to do is to add a PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION in your procedure:<br><br>CREATE PROCEDURE ... AS PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION;<br>BEGIN<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;...<br>END;<br><br>You only have to know that this transaction will be commited despite of your main transaction success or failure.

Hi,<br>Its not possible to write any DDL statement within the trigger body as each DDL fires the COMMIT statement before execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back