Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert statement with Case Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpereira

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
I have tried several times in several ways to use an Insert Into Statement which includes a CASE WHEN in a select statement to insert into the table. I have gotten errors that there weren't the same number of fields in the select as the insert. I tried altering it and can't seem to get it. Here is a clip of the statement without all the joins. Can someone enlighten me? Please?

Insert TCSFile (SASID, USID, Teacher_Last_Name, Teacher_First_Name, Teacher_Middle_Name, School_Code, LocalSectionID, LocalCourseID, LocalCourseName, Section_Entry_Date, Section_Exit_Date)
(SELECT DISTINCT
dbo.CSL_STD_DEMO_DISTRICT.STATE_NUMBER,
dbo.CSL_STAFF_DEMO_DISTRICT.LICENSE_NUMBER,
dbo.CSL_SMS_USER.LAST_NAME,
dbo.CSL_SMS_USER.FIRST_NAME,
dbo.CSL_SMS_USER.MIDDLE_NAME,
dbo.CSL_SET_SCHOOL_INFO.DISTRICT_NUMBER,
dbo.CSL_SMS_CLASS.CLASS_NUMBER,
dbo.CSL_SMS_DISTRICT_SUBJ_ITEM.NUMBER,
(convert(char(10),dbo.CSL_SMS_TERM_DATE.START_DATE,101)),
((Test=Case
when dbo.CSL_SMS_TERM_DATE.END_DATE >@end then null
when dbo.CSL_SMS_TERM_DATE.END_DATE <=@end then convert(char(10),dbo.CSL_SMS_TERM_DATE.END_DATE,101)
END ))
FROM

Hi,

Take away the "Test="

just leave the Case .....

Hope this helps

This part...

[tt][blue]Insert TCSFile (SASID, USID, Teacher_Last_Name, Teacher_First_Name, Teacher_Middle_Name, School_Code, LocalSectionID, LocalCourseID, LocalCourseName, Section_Entry_Date, Section_Exit_Date)[/blue][/tt]

specifies 11 columns. Your select appears to only have 10 columns. Something is missing.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thank you both! You were both correct. After working on this project for so long I was getting tunnel vision. You were both VERY helpful!

Regards,

Karen

Test=" is just fine except for the superfluous parentheses sprinkled throughout.

[COLOR=black #e0e0e0]For SQL and technical ideas, visit my blog, Squared Thoughts.

[sub]The best part about anything that has cheese is the cheese.[/sub][/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back