Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert Object Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2004
US
I am working on creating a small database that would basically organize various pdf and other files. The container field works great for this but I’m wondering if there is any way to automate all the steps it takes. Right now I have to right click on the field go to insert object, then Create from File, Browse for the file, check create link, check display as an icon. I know I can create a button that will do the right click and insert object, but what about the all the checking and clicking in the dialog window? All the files will be saved in an “Archived” folder so they are easy to locate. I have just upgraded to FileMaker Pro 6 and I was hoping that would fix my problem but it doesn’t like it.

Any Ideas?
--Jon Quincy

-----------------------
Goto Field ["Container"]
Insert Object[]
-----------------------
on insert you can "specify" the specific object or leave it uncheck so you get "interaction" with this step.
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

I tried finding a solution to the problem as well, but no luck yet. I have a similar need, so if I do happen to come across something, I will post here.

if all the files (PDF,gifs,mov... etc) are already in the folder and all u need is to do to "batch-import" ALL OF THEM then in a FM 6 u can use Import--->Folder... and that should do it...just "mathc/update records"
Let me know if this is not working out.... there is a(windows only) auto-anything utility that can do it in "batch" -one record at the time as well...
there is also a FM native plugin that is cross platform but it costs $$$
All the best!

> need more info?

i guess i could have all the files dump into one folder but i would be adding files every day and wanting to add them. i guess think of what i am trying to do as a simple doculex, or digital file cabinet.

what do you mean by the auto-anything utility?

thats OK...just dump them into one folder and the user the "Import/Update" option that can be easily scripted....on some days u will add 1 on other more files but it would relativly fast import.

> need more info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back