Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert missing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

razchip

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
US
I've been trying to figure out how to insert missing data in a table. Another software produces the data, it contains the recipe and the ingredients, it doesn't replicate the recipe number for each row, so if I try to do some special sorts, I lose the connection. Below is an example:

Recipe Ingredient
10027 05243
10031 06457

What I am trying to accomplish
10027 05243
10027 07654
10027 12695
10031 06547
10031 07732

Some recipes may be a single row, others may have twenty rows or more.

I've tried various null and insert statements, but keep missing the boat.

Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

Keep in mind records in a table are like marbles in a box. There is no particular order. You may get lucky if you create a recordset and loop through it capturing and updating the blank Recipe column with previous values.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Another software produces the data" in what formst? A table? CSV file (text file)?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

The data is generated from a recipe software as a csv file.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

You might be better off importing into Excel and using a formula to propagate that recipe value.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

You're right, this will make it much easier and will only take a few minutes to set up. Thanks.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

If this is a process that is repeated regularly, I would add a primary key during the import so there is a field that can be used as the sort order. Then create a little code that (or possibly and update query) to fill in the missing information.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back