Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert involving multiple tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdina

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
US
I am using PHP5 under linux against a MS SQL 2000 database. What I want to do is insert data that involves multiple tables, I have learned the hard way that using views will not accomplish this. The tough part about what I am doing is that the secondary table's insert relies on the ID created by inserting into the primary table. I suppose I could retrieve the ID of the newly created record, but I feel like this is sloppy and there must be a better way to do this. If there are no better ways to do this, then I suppose by obtaining the previously inserted records ID will work, however I am not sure the best way to do that. I am figuring I can run a select against the table and search for either something that should be specific (which sounds scary) or I can cycle through the records and pick the last one (which also sounds somewhat scary, but not as scary).

thanks!
--Bryan

Cycling through the records and picking the "last" one is a very bad idea because you can't guaranty concurrency. If user B inserts a record in between the time that user A inserts a record and the time he begins looking for the "last" record, then user A will fetch user B's record.

Your question involves some specifics of SQL Server 2k internals. I recommend that you ask this question in of Tek-Tips' SQL Server fora.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

The proper (portable) way to do it would be to get the ID from a sequence first, insert it into the parent table, then use the ID for the child table.

Using auto_increment fields is non-portable, kinda lazy and ends up creating predicaments like you have right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back