Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert into using a select/union

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcella

Programmer
Jan 3, 2004
US
I am trying to populate a temp table from a list of values I get back from a Java method call. I'm trying to do a batch insert, but cannot seem to find the right syntax. I tried

SELECT 'constant1' n from table
UNION ALL
SELECT 'constant2' n from table
INTO TEMP a;

The syntax works, but I am inevitably going to exceed the maximum statement length and I cannot use the same clasue again since the temp table already exists. I tried the followig, but I keep getting a syntax error:

INSERT INTO a
SELECT 'constant1' from table
UNION ALL
SELECT 'constant2' from table;

Any ideas? I really do not want to have to generate a separate insert statement for every value in my list.

Also, my table is guaranteed to only ever have one row so I just get back the singlular constant value. Is there a better way to force only one row instead of having to rely on the table only having one row? FIRST 1 is not supported within an INSERT or INTO.

hmm,

i tried both of your suggestions and never get an error.

Are you sure you do not suppress any details?

If you select a constant you will have to provide a pseudo-column-name, which i guess should be the "n" in your statement.

please check if you omitted something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back