Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert images with automatic filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc2000

Programmer
May 14, 2003
US
I have a databse where i need to automatically insert images into each record. I have these images scanned, and they are automatically named when scanned, and they increase by 2. so i would like to be able to have a button or script on my form layout to attach the correct image to the correct record. The software scans the document and automatically assigns file name 0000.jpg with increments of 1 so next would be 0001.jpg, and so on and so forth. they are in alphabetical order when i scan as well as in the database, so i was hoping i could do this automatically.

thanks for any help
brandon

1st-----------------------------------------------
create a field that has a serial also incremented by 2
so:
[SerialField]:
etc.
and a Contrainer Field (eg. [Image]) that will accept these images (references).
-----------------------------------------------------
2nd----------------------------------------------------

u can import this by:
File-->Import Records-->Folder..
import them as a Refrence only
"Update Matching Records in the Current Found Set"

and where you would have your File Name <=> SerialField
matched....( 001.jpg matched with 0001)
so the import would be:
[001.jpg]-->[Image]--where--[SerialField]=001
-------------------------------------------------------
Importing Folders function is available with FMPro 6...if you have a lower version D/L the demo from Filemaker.com

all the best!

Brandon,

I asked you some questions in my previous post on this subject. What does a record contain? The check only or we are trying to match a scan assigned number with the correct client record? My previous post to this question:

Aren't we all a little confused?

In your previous post you mentioned using the client's name and DL number for a filename. Now you want the scanner to assign it. I still don't know your business needs enough to understand how you work and then suggest a solution.

I'll take a stab though. How do the checks come in to you 100's at a time in alphabetical order? Wouldn't there be more names in the database then checks to be scanned? In otherwords, couldn't a Smith client exist in the database yet no Smith check is being scanned?

If you are entering this information in off the check prior to scanning and this is why you are sure the client and the check for the client exists, this same process surely happens on an almost daily bases. So what happens when you enter a John Smith today, and tomorrow you enter a James Smith. How would a script know which record to go to to create a file name that would point to the automated file name created by the scanner? It could be I'm confused on the method of your madness and it could be it just won't work the way we are approaching this.

I thought you were on the right track before with a unique file name sequence, last-first-check number. For what you are doing, maybe this doesn't work at all.

Tell me more about the process of your business doings answering a few of the above questions. I'm sure there is an answer but I need to understand the question better.

//I asked these question to better understand the needs you will have of a script to locate the correct record and assign the correct value for the scan check.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back