Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert disk without rebuilding RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

volleyman

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
US
All,

my apprentice pulled both disks out of a machine with RAID 1 config. he inserted a single disk and changed to RAID 0 in order to wipe the disk.

Is there a way to change back to RAID 1 without wiping the data on the previous 2 disks? every time I try it, I get a warning stating all data will be lost.

This is a Proliant DL360 G5 with the built-in smart array 5 controller.

thanks!

Zane D.
Systems Admin

Hi

It depends on how and when he pulled them out - if he powered the server off and then removed both drives then the raid set can be recovered by simply reversing the process - you may get a warning, but this will probably be refering the raid zero. You may even be able to recover from just one of the drives if your lucky. ie the last drive that wa removed from the server may still not be corrupt and may just need a drive to mirror with.
Just get as much info and ask as many question here.
Remember the raid set info is stored on the drives as well as on the controller, so the two drives would be recognised in another DL360 server.

Good luck

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back