Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert DateTime into SQL Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

boux123

Technical User
Mar 20, 2007
CA
Hi,

I creating this form where one of the fields shows the current date and time (read only). i want to insert this current date into my SQL database table under a certain column (varchar type). I didnt use any of the date or time types because their size is standard. When I created test forms and submitted it to my database. The current date and time is display in the table like this: 1/1/1900 12:00:00 AM. Im assuming this is the default dateTime. Im not sure how to fix this problem.

Here is my code:

This is my insert statement:

oConn.Open(ConnectionString)
queryStr = "INSERT INTO tblPDRitem ( pdrItemCreationTime, packageName, packageType, actionRequested, distributionServers) VALUES('" & currentDateEntry & "','" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("packageName")) & "', '" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("packageType")) & "','" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("actionRequested")) & "','" & TRIM(list) & "')"
Set oRsSub = oConn.Execute(queryStr)
oConn.Close

This is where I input the date in the form:

<input type = "text" readonly name= "currentDate" value="<%= FormatDateTime(Now) %>" />

Thx

This is SQL Server, right?

I recommend you use the SQL server function GetDate() This will enter the date/time in to the column based on the server's date/time.

Also, you should change the data type to DateTime. It takes less storage AND gives you more functionality. After you change the data type, your query could be...

Code:
oConn.Open(ConnectionString)    
       queryStr = "INSERT INTO tblPDRitem ( pdrItemCreationTime, packageName, packageType, actionRequested, distributionServers) VALUES([!]GetDate()[/!],'" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("packageName")) & "', '" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("packageType")) & "','" & TRIM(Request.QueryString("actionRequested"))  & "','" & TRIM(list) & "')"
    Set oRsSub = oConn.Execute(queryStr)
    oConn.Close

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Do you have a line of code like this somewhere before executing the INSERT ?
Code:
currentDateEntry = Request.QueryString("currentDate")

If not, this would account for what you are seeing. If currentDateEntry does not have a value assigned then it will be handled like an empty string. SQL Server will convert that to the beginning of time, the zero-date, Jan 1, 1900 at midnight.

George,

getDate() is a SQL server function and ASP page cannot interpret it...

i agree with rac2, you are seeing a default date of 1900 because of the empty string being passed to the database...make sure you are passing the variable correctly...

-DNG

DNG,

Thanks for pointing that out. You'll notice that ASP's involvment with the GetDate() function is to simply store it in a string. So, eventually ASP would see..

queryStr = "[tt][blue]INSERT INTO tblPDRitem ( pdrItemCreationTime, packageName, packageType, actionRequested, distributionServers) VALUES(GetDate(), 'SomeValue', 'AnotherValue','SomethingElse','TheLastOne')[/blue][/tt]"

When this string is executed, the sql engine would appropriately use GetDate() in insert the servers date and time in to the column.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back