Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert a delay (task) in the middle of a task

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdiaz1328

Technical User
Jan 9, 2012
US
I have a project file that tracks software developer’s projects.

Each software developer has his\her projects indented under his\her name. Each of his projects are sequentially ordered for the most part and each has the previous task as a predessor. Now let's say that for some reason I need to take a developer off of a project for a day or two to handle a hot issue, but I want that day or two to affect all of the timelines for each of his remaining projects.

I prefer not to have to duplicate (split) the current task (with days completed and days left) and then insert the hot task in between.

Is there a easy way to insert a task in the middle of an existing task and have it move all of the remaining dates out accordingly?

You can use the Update Project command with "Reschedule uncompleted work" command to accomplish what you need. Make sure you've accurately record all actual progress on tasks. Insert the new task in the list where needed and ensure its progress is complete. Then use Update Project, Reschedule uncompleted work to start after......". This will split any in-progress tasks and reschedule the remaining work to the new date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back