Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inquiry: Succession 3.0 to 4.5 upgrade 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobber1

Technical User
Nov 11, 2005
US
Hello Everyone,
Just putting a feeler out if any one has upgraded a Nortel 81c switch from Succession 3.0 to 4.5.
If so, any pointers, comments, suggestions while planning this upgrade and problems after the upgrade.

Thanks,
Dobber

what is your switch type, larger switches have less trouble then the 11's.. i would make sure i had the patches on a floppy before the upgrade, it's quicker to add them instead of downloading them post upgrade or worse getting someone to dial in... if you have them on a disk, ld 143 is painless

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the tip John. It is a larger switch and I verify that I have patches and anything else on floppy.

Regards,
Dobber

The only thing I found after the upgrade is that if you have phantom TNs in the 159 loop, you won't be able to make any changes to them after you go to 4.5. I ended up moving all of mine to a new 152 loop so that we could easily make changes in the future. Also, make sure to double check the memory requirements. We had to add memory, but we were going from 25.30 to 4.5.

Good luck
ROb

Take about passwords. In Rls 4.5 they are not displayed anymore in PWD command LD 22.

Just keep a print of it in the last release to be able reinstalled if neccessary.
After upgrade, system says :"System is not secure. Please change passwords".
If you don't want to see that warning anymore, you will have to change pwds, included pdt pwd !!

Take care. You can validate FPC to yes. but don't answer yes to PCOMP (password complexity). You will have to enter pwd that follows special rules described in NTPs...

Last, after pwd changing, make an EDD immediatly, or you will not be able to log in for 10/15 minutes.

If you have SigServ and want to log in with Telnet, pwd level1 is required, but failed if EDD is not done.

I also had some problems with QSIG link on 1 PBX only. That Link doesn't want to restart anymore. It have to be debug by adequat staff.

Also, a problem with CLID on another PBX, if PSTN is entering from a tandem node. Still not solved. CLID display twice on the same line...!!!

Good luck

If you have SigServ, you have to backup the Gatekeeper first in Rls 3.0 (GK access Backup menu) It backup itself in the SigServ and will not be erased by new installation, Nortel says. I can't confirm. I had to reenter NRS value manually. So keep a print of all GK config first.

Normally, you might be able to backup IP config on floppy during upgrade procedure, Nortel says. Once again, it fails for my part.

For Call server, i had a problem between CS and MG. They doesn't see others. The IPR MAC address value had change 1 bit, then bootp from MG never receives an answer. Keep a print of IPR (LD 117 PRT IPR)

Your experience feedback after upgrade is welcome

I just went to 4.5 from rls 24. Had to do some minor station changes on some sets that for some reason did not come over. The only thing that I'm having problems with now is the CDR format. My Call Accounting is looking for just 3 lines of the RAW data and for some reason now my system is putting out 4 lines of information. I can get 2 or 4 but not 3 am I missing somthing?

Thanks everyone. I will be checking periodically. Keep the ideas flowing. I really do appreciate it.

Dobber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back