Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inquiry on the Printer Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonscott8

Programmer
May 12, 2000
US
Our print server is down. Is there any way I can change the destination of the printer object to print to file instead of spooling to the printer?

I've referenced the help and it appears this isnt do-able.

Thanks In Advance. Jon Hawkins
jonscott8@yahoo.com

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

Well, not quite undoable, but it really depends on what you want to use the "file" for. Are you're expecting to save the reports and later "dump" them to the printer? Attempting to have SOMETHING to look at (not expecting 'pretty' but hoping for 'useable)?

For the latter, define a Text only printer for your system, and re-direct it's output to a file.

For the former, it's almost the same - except you need to 'define' a printer which you WILL have (at some point) to dump the files to. But also set it's output to file.

In each of the above, the printer "should" ask for a file name to print to when invoked by your program.

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Hi Michael,

define a Text only printer for your system, and re-direct it's output to a file

By this, I presume you mean a 'Generic / Text Only' printer.

These were my original thoughts as well, but nowhere in the printer properties is there a 'Print To File' option. Jon Hawkins
jonscott8@yahoo.com

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

It certainly exists for MY text printer.

I have one on my system - just for this reason. If, I select the printer and then the details tab on the dialog, One of he properties is "Print to the Following Port:

In the combo box, you mas select:

FILE: (Creates a file on disk)

Actually, this choice is avail on ALL of my printers.

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back