Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inputstream and outputstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

satellite03

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
IN
i have confusion on "inputstream" and "outputstream".
is this two are interchangable ? suppose i have a program. it needs some binary input, that means i need to feed "inputstream" and when it outputs in binary i would call it "outputstream". but i noticed in some cases things becomes reversed. especially in JSP,Servlets, File upload, file download i confuse these terms.
whats the general rule i should keep in mind ?
can you please explain on this ?

This is standard IO - you read from an input stream, you write to an output stream - no exceptions.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

>This is standard IO - you read from an input stream, you >write to an output stream - no exceptions.

thats good.

suppose , i want to upload a file to a server . then what is inputstream and what is outputstream in this case ?

i am thinking this way,

first i have a source. the source is a file. i will make it a stream i.e a inputstream . now i have to write a program which will take this inputstream and produce a outputstream.Now this outputstream will form a file in the remote server

is this correct ?

thank you for your brave comment.

To upload a file to a server, you would :

Create a FileInputStream from the file.
Read the data from the file into a byte[] .
Open a connection to the server.
Send the byte[] to the server using the outputstream.
Read the inputstream from the server.
Done.

To upload a file to a server, you would :

Create a FileInputStream from the file.
Read the data from the file into a byte[] .
Open a connection to the server.
Send the byte[] to the server using the outputstream. // line-1
Read the inputstream from the server. // line -2
Done.

is //line-2 is necessary ? you already have sent the data to the server by //line-1 . and //line-1 makes the upload complete. is not it ?

No it doesn't - HTTP (I'm guessing you are uploading to a web server) is a two way protocol, and you will probably run into trouble if you do not read the inputstream from the server, as many servers will block on the native send() method.

No it doesn't - HTTP (I'm guessing you are uploading to a web server) is a two way protocol, and you will probably run into trouble if you do not read the inputstream from the server, as many servers will block on the native send() method.

i can not undestand your post.
you said
>if you do not read the inputstream from the server

but see, i did not want to download again. i just wanted to upload. so there is no question of further reading inputstream from server, once it has been uploaded.

So , for UPLOAD only // line-2 should be missing from your algorithm. why it can not be done ? i could not understand your point.

Sedj is saying that the server may not begin reading data in until you establish a connection to it to accept data back. Http is defined as a two-way request/response protocol, so if you're using http, that may be the way it's handled.

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

Ok, thats good. so just to make happy the HTTP protocol i have do that.

>Read the inputstream from the server.

How do you codify this statement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back