Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input type=file - disabling user input 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen267

Programmer
Sep 2, 2003
NZ
I couldn't find the answer to this question using search.

I would like to use an input box with a type of file, which users will then use to upload a file. But I also want to disable the text input, so they can ONLY use the browse button to select a specific (existing) file, rather than typing "I don't have a file yet" which causes the form to fail! Is there any way to do this using the INPUT tag, or should I write some javascript to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Isn't this already the default behavior. At least in FF 3 and IE8, you can't actually type anything into the text box for the file input type.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

This is for our Intranet site, and we're still using IE7 as standard. We won't be upgrading for a while, so I would like to find a solution, if possible.

You may be able to use the readonly attribute:
<input type=file readonly="readonly">

Other than that, yes you'll need javascript.
Something like:

<input type=file onKeyPress="this.value='';">
So you keep the value empty every time they try to press a key to type in it.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Readonly disables the Browse button, but the javascript you suggested might be the answer I'm looking for. And a lot easier than what I was thinking. Thanks!

I don't know this for sure, but wouldn't it be possible to detect the missing file server-side, and do nothing?

If so, surely this would be a far better approach than trying to "hack" the input box client-side?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

I think you'll find that Javascript access to <input type="file"> elements is severely limited. In particular, don't think it's possible to manipulate the value in any way.

This is for security reasons - otherwise a hacker could put a file control in some otherwise innocent form - a site search form, say - make it invisible with CSS and populate it with the name of a file that he wanted from your hard drive. Then people would unknowingly send that file each time they use the form.

So the only way to get a filename into a file control is for the user to type or select it.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Unfortunately the code suggested by vacunita didn't work, but I did find the answer on another forum:

<INPUT TYPE="file" NAME="filename" onKeyDown="this.blur()" onContextMenu="return false;">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back