Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input on Top User Based Tips on getting certifed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaAdam

Technical User
Jun 11, 2007
US
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to put together a document of user-generated content where people who are in the process of, or have already completed, getting certified offer advice to those looking to do the same.

The tips don't necessarily need to be vendor/test specific, but more generic in nature. This will be given to those who don't really know where to begin or how to really study for the certs.

I appreciate all your help, and if I have posted in the wrong forum and need to post elsewhere please advise. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses.

Adam

Cisco Academy all the way, very affordable...plus books (Sybex), actual equipment (usually 3 2600 series, one a 2620 or 2621, and three switches,usually 2924's or 2950's), and maybe a simulator, which is not needed if one has actual equipment, and a LOT of hands-on. What I have seen a lot is when a person may be pressured by their misinformed employer to "hurry up" and get the cert, putting a lot of pressure on individuals to cheat or be paper certs.

Burt

Thanks for the input.

I wanted to add to my original question as well.

With no disrespect whatsoever to Tek-tips, as it seems to be a premier stop for most people on their path to getting certified, but what other online resources do you use in addition to Tek-tips?

Any other forum type resources like sadikhov and the such?

Adam

TampaAdam,

Just "Google" Cisco forum - you will find a bunch!

Also read back a few pages on prior posts and you will find several pages of links to other pages that people have posted.

I like - they have Cisco , networking in general and security as well as just about EVERY ISP as well as most technolgy issues!

Hope this help!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I also like using the vendor's website. Been through both Novell and Cisco certs, the websites themselves offer valuable information on topics covered by the exams.

Google more than just cisco forums, google in general. Get RFC docs, other reviews, etc.

I also use the cramsessions from Good intro into a subject.

Cisco's website is a great resource. I used it by firstly reading up on the certification I was attempting (eg BCMSN) and finding what was covered in the exam. I would then read up on each topic (I used Ciscopress books, others here use different ones). Anything that I didn't understand or felt was a bit light in the book, I would research on the Cisco website.

Graham M. CCNP

I used the Cisco Press books fro CCNA (INTRO and ICND in a boxed package). They are very good, and come with a set of Boson practice questions. Care is needed with these. ALWAYS check the answers against the book and/or real hardware, because they are littered with typos and other mistakes.

EB

Does anyone know where to get a decent router sim? Preferable a free tool.

Depends on what you want to do...
Cisco has a free one that is okay, called Packet Tracer. It is free.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back