Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input on database project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrathchild

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
US
I'm still learning Java and I'd like to create an app to store my music cd information in. Nothing fancy, just a few fields, it's more to learn how to utilize a database with Java. I realize I have some choices as to what I can use for a database (Oracle, mySQL, etc.) and I'll probably use Oracle since I'm currently taking a course on it. Now if this is something I'd like to build and distribute, what are my choices for storing data? Is there something to store data in where the end user doesn't need a db app loaded on their machine? Would a regular text file work? Also, anybody know of a really good source with instructions on how to link a database to Java?
thanks

Of course you could store the data in a text file, but its better to use RDBMS if there are any substantial amounts of data. And you'd be better off using MySQL than Oracle if anyone but you is going to use it, as its free ...

You might want to look at a JDBC tutorial - look at the tutorials on java.sun.com ...

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

If you want a database that the end user doesn't have to own, then you should look for ones that offer an "embedded" database driver.

Both Pointbase ( and HSQLDB (hsqldb.sourceforge.net/) offer those options. I'm sure there are others.

You can use either oracle or mySQL, check the JDBC api to connect to a type 4 or net driver.

thanks guys, I'll probably end up hooking it up to Oracle, mySQL, and Access, just to have the experience. I assumed a text file wouldn't be the best route since there will be ~1000 records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back