Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input Mask Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrWolf

MIS
Mar 19, 2001
I have an input mask on a field for phone numbers:

!\(999") "AAA\-AAAACCCCC

When I enter in data such as 5032221212 it reformats as (503) 222-1212. However if I go to edit the record and try to change it or add less then five character on the end of the existing number it gives me the following error.

The value you entered isn't appropriate for the input mask '!\(999") "AAA\-AAAACCCCC' specified for this field.

Any idea what's wrong?

I'm not sure why your input mask doesn't work. I tried it and it doesn't work for me either. I got the same message you did. I am using Access 2000. But anyway, this one DOES work. . .

NOTE: the \'s are supposed to be the left backslash - but my keyboard prints these (\)instead. I don't know how to correct this.

!\(999") "000\-00009999;0;_

Never mind about the backslashes - they showed up OK in the post but in this section it showed up like a Y with two lines through it. Sorry!

Isn't the 'C' the only option that allows any character including spaces and isn't required?

I figured it out. The ! was causing validation from right to left, rather than the default of left to right. Thus anytime it was less than the total length of the mask it was attempting to use spaces for the area code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back