Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inova / Lightsource Msg Boards and Avaya CMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zowwie438

Programmer
Aug 27, 2004
US
All - This may not be the proper thread to post this, but this is as close as I could categorize this so it can reach the proper geeks.

So... Recently I had to display Temp/Weather/Forecast to some INOVA LED boards. But the licensing didn't permit much access at all to outside sources. But CMS was accessible from Inova.

So with that said... Here are the config files so you can add a datasource to your Inova for weather/temp/alerts/etc.

Instructions:

1) Got to your input manaager and select new data source (don't forget padlock).
2) Select Avaya CMS.
3) Select TCP/IP and enter this address instead of your cms server. rainmaker.wunderground.com 23
4) Go to your settings and there are two files listed below... Just cut and paste them. Be sure to change the city code from CVG to meet your geo needs. (inside dss file)
5) You may need to play around with the positions for some of the data fields. But this is pretty darn close.
6) Also note that inside DSS I am sending control J's. PLEASE DON'T ASK! LOL For whatever reason, rainmaker.wunderground.com WILL NOT ACK a control M being sent from the Inova platform.

--
Once you have this added and it appears as a data source... Just go into editing a message and add your data source item to your message.

It should be noted that almost everything I included here is strings, so if you want to do any math or operations on your temps (like changing colors or reminding people to bundle up due to freezing temps) you will need to change the types from string to int16 or something along those lines.

I also learned that Inova only permitted me to add 5 different data sources and I was like WHAT?!!?!?!? So I am probably going to write a sep app in perl that Invoa can connect to and have perl go get all my data sources from other locations. This way I can avoid their restrictive money making attempts.

Good luck! I hope this helps someone out there.

++Zoww

File: weather.sdf
[General]
Description=Weather
SourceDataType=terminalEmulation
SourceDataSubType=vt100
ReportCount=1

[Report1]
Name=Weather
TableCount=1

[Report1Table1]
Name=Weather
FieldCount=6
Field1=Temp,int16,4,4,3,4,7
Field2=Humidity,string,4,4,15,4,19
Field3=Wind_Direction,string,4,4,27,4,30
Field4=Wind_Speed,string,4,4,34,4,38
Field5=Pressure,string,6,4,42,4,48
Field6=Condition,string,20,4,53,4,73

weather.dss
[Description]
weather_todd.dss
;;Getting the weather
;This is the data source script (.dss) file for the Avaya CMS.
;Valid commands include the following:
; Send, SendFile, Wait, WaitFor, Update, UpdateOnce,
; DtrUp, DtrDown, RtsUp, RtsDown, Report, LogoutOff, LogoutOn

[Login]
Wait 2
Send ^J
Wait 2
Send cvg^J //Change this to YOUR city code.

[Interim]
Report 1 // inform the DSM we are showing Report 1
Update 5
Wait 4

[Logout]
Wait 2
Send ^J
Send ^J
WaitFor Exit,10
Send x^J

Status
Not open for further replies.